0% APR Balance Transfer Credit Cards
About Editor’s Picks: Our editor selects credit cards based on the features the credit card offers consumers, including introductory rates, fees, long term interest rates, and its relative value compared to competing offers. While this site receives remuneration from credit card companies, our rankings strive to objectively provide consumers with relevant, unique options.
In this section, you will find 0% APR balance transfer credit card offers. Despite the middling economy, a number of credit card companies continue to offer generous 0% APR balance transfer deals. Some companies have straightforward offers that last a full 18 months. Others advertise 0% APR balance transfers that can last up to a certain number of months, but only grant the longest advertised rates to consumers with 800+ credit scores. Be sure to read the fine print so you can avoid these less than ideal balance transfer offers.
Transferring balances to a credit card that offers a 0% APR on balance transfers for 18 months or more can provide substantial savings. If you have $5,000 in credit card debt and an interest rate of 15%, an 18 month balance transfer could save you as much as $700 in interest. Using the money you save, it is possible to reduce credit card debt by close to 50% during the course of your 0% APR balance transfer.
Below you can compare the details of leading 0% APR balance transfer credit cards. Once you’ve found the right card, click apply to access the online application and start saving money on interest.
Recommended 0% APR Balance Transfer Offers
Choosing a Balance Transfer Credit Card
From the Editor: Credit card companies that advertise 0% APR balance transfers for “up to” a certain number of months may actually approve your application, but only grant you a 0% APR for as little as 6 months. The length of the 0% APR period with these offers is determined when your application is reviewed. In order to avoid rate shock, I recommend choosing cards from Citibank, Chase and Discover, all of whom advertise and deliver on the longest 0% APR balance transfer periods presently available to approved applicants.
- Online-exclusive $100 cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- 1% cash back on every purchase, 2% at grocery stores and 3% on gas for the first $1,500 in combined grocery store and gas purchases each quarter
- No annual fee
- No changing categories and your rewards do not expire
- Bank of America customers: Get a 10% customer bonus every time you redeem cash back into a Bank of America® checking or savings account
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days, then, 12.99% - 22.99% variable APR
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers and Purchases for 15 months. After that, the variable APR will be 12.99%-22.99%, based on your creditworthiness*
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- The only card that earns you cash back twice on every purchase with:
- 1% cash back when you buy
- Plus 1% cash back as you pay for those purchases, whether you pay in full or over time*
- No Category Restrictions, No Caps, No Enrollments in Rotating Categories
- No Annual Fee
- Get 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers and Purchases for 18 months. After that, the APR will be 11.99%-21.99% based upon your creditworthiness.*
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer.
- Citi® Easy DealsSM Get what you want for less. Earn Citi Easy Deals Points for the purchases you make with your card.
- Redeem your points for great online deals on name-brand merchandise, gift cards and even local deals.
- Let our 24/7 concierge service help book your hotel rooms, flights and more.
- $0 liability on unauthorized purchases and Citi® Identity Theft Solutions.
- No annual fee*
- No Balance Transfer Fees - start saving immediately!
- A low 8% variable APR on balance transfers and purchases
- No Annual Fees
- Choose your card benefits and features
- Get rewarded through the new Giveback™ program, where Barclaycard Ring members get money back for good performance
- Get exclusive access to our online community and vote on the card features you like and view the financials of the Barclaycard Ring MasterCard online
- Learn more about personal finance from Barclaycard and other members
- Complimentary FICO® Scores as a benefit to active cardmembers. Opt-in to have instant and convenient access to FICO® Scores from your Barclaycard online account.
- Earn a $100 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn a $25 Bonus after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within this same 3-month period
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99-22.99%
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases between 1/1/15—3/31/15 at grocery stores (not including Walmart® and Target® purchases), movie theaters, and Starbucks® stores
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like restaurants, gas stations, and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- No annual fee and rewards never expire as long as your account is open
- Earn 10,000 bonus points after $500 in purchases in the first 90 days, enough to redeem for a $100 cash back statement credit
- 0% promotional APR for 6 months on ALL ticket purchases from a team ticket office. After that, a variable APR currently 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99%, based on your credit worthiness
- Earn 2 points per $1 on NFL or team purchases - game tickets, in-stadium and at team Pro Shops - and 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- 20% off every purchase at NFLShop.com - that's $20 off every $100 you spend
- Redeem points for VIP NFL experiences, game tickets or 1% cash back statement credits beginning at 2,500 points for a $25 statement credit
- All 32 team cards are available, customized with your favorite team's colors and logo
- 0% introductory APR for 15 months on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening. After that a variable APR, currently 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99%, based on your creditworthiness
0% APR Balance Transfer Tips
Balance Transfer Tip 1: When you apply for a 0% APR balance transfer online, some companies will give you the option of transferring balances with your application. Don’t do it. Apply online, then wait for your credit card to arrive in the mail.
The key reason to wait until your card arrives before doing balance transfers is that some companies advertise a 0% APR on balance transfers for up to 12 months, but may only grant you a 0% rate for as little as 6 months. By waiting until your card arrives, you can make sure you get the deal you wanted.
Balance Transfer Tip 2: If you know you’ll be able to pay off your credit card before the 0% APR balance transfer period ends, the company you choose doesn’t really matter. However, if you think you’ll need a little extra time, it may be better to choose a good company instead of the one that offers the most tantalizing deal.
I’ve recommended Discover since I first started Smart Balance Transfers in 2007. In 2008 and 2009, when most credit card companies were generating hundreds of complaints on our blog, nobody had issues with Discover. Because of this, I have a strong bias towards Discover. They respect their customers and I respect them for doing so.
Balance Transfer Tip 3: If you have large balances, you might need more than one balance transfer credit card. Credit card companies aren’t as generous with credit limits as they used to be, so getting an initial credit limit of more than $5,000 may prove difficult.
If you need two cards, you might want to consider applying simultaneously. This can give you the opportunity to evaluate the long term interest rates and terms of two cards and choose the best one to use for your balance transfer. Most credit card companies offer a range of long term interest rates that apply after the 0% APR balance transfer period ends; most also do not reveal your long term APR until after your application has been processed. So even if you don’t need two cards to get enough credit, it may be worthwhile to apply for two cards and choose the best long term deal.
*Important Disclaimer: See credit card applications for complete terms and conditions. While Smart Balance Transfers makes reasonable efforts to maintain accurate information, all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click an “Apply” button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the issuing company’s web site.