The Chase Freedom is one of the most popular reward cards in the country. It offers 5% cash back bonuses on select categories of merchants that change each quarter, and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Right now, new applicants can earn $100 cash back after making $500 in purchases within three months of opening their account. Cardholders can also register for the fourth quarter bonus categories.
What purchases are eligible for 5% cash back in Q4 of 2013?
This fall, Freedom cardholders will receive 5% cash back from purchases at Amazon.com and from select department stores. Eligible Amazon.com purchases include Amazon Prime subscriptions, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Local, Amazon.com magazines, and Amazon Digital Downloads.
There are dozens of qualifying department stores, but the largest ones include JC Penny, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Sears, and Bloomingdales. Nevertheless, Target, Walmart, and all membership warehouse stores are excluded.
- Earn a $100 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn a $25 Bonus after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within this same 3-month period
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99%-22.99%
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases between October 1 — December 31, 2014 at Amazon.com, Zappos.com and select department stores
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like gas stations, restaurants and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- No annual fee and rewards never expire
0% for 15 months*
0% for 15 months*
What you need to know about the Chase Freedom quarterly bonuses
You have to register for the bonus categories. Cardholders must go online to activate the bonus categories in order to receive the extra cash back. Registration opens just before the quarter begins and lasts throughout the quarter. Thankfully, registration applies retroactively to all eligible purchases made during the quarter.
Bonuses are limited. Cardholders only receive 5% cash back on their first $1,500 of eligible purchases made throughout the quarter. Subsequent purchases receive the standard 1% cash back.
Freedom cash back is received as Ultimate Rewards points. These points can be redeemed for cash back, merchandise, travel reservations or gift cards at a rate of one cent each. However, these points can be transferred to other Chase credit card accounts. Those who also hold an Ink Bold, Ink Plus, Sapphire Preferred, or Palladium card will find that the same points are worth 1.25 cents towards travel reservations when redeemed from those other card accounts. In addition, those other cards can transfer points to the programs of ten different airline or hotel programs, plus Amtrak Guest Rewards. When used wisely for award travel, these points and miles can be worth as much as several cents each.
When credit card users understand how to maximize the bonus point offers from Chase Freedom, they will realize why this card remains so popular.