As summer continues to swelter, Americans are always looking for ways to beat the heat. But for those who have incurred expenses from a summer vacation, or just an air conditioner repair, a promotional balance transfer can be your way to beat interest rates in 2013, 2014, and even as far as early 2015!
Three top balance transfer credit cards
Slate® from Chase
New cardholders receive 15 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers, with no balance transfer fee. This product is so popular because it is the only card with 0% APR balance transfers and no fee; all other cards with require a 3% balance transfer fee. There is no annual fee for this card, and cardholders can use Chase’s Blueprint program for free. This innovative feature allows cardholders to pay off some purchases in full while carrying a balance on others. It also includes powerful budgeting and goal setting features. And best of all, there is no annual fee for this card.
Citi Simplicity® Card
Citi offers this card with 18 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers. This card also includes no late fees or penalty interest rate. That means that if a payment is late, cardholders will not face any additional fees or see their interest rates double. There is no annual fee for this card.
Discover it® comes in two different versions. One version has 14 months of interest free financing on balance transfers and new purchases, while the other features 18 months of 0% APR on balance transfers, and six months on new purchases, with a 3% balance transfer fee. But unlike the other top competitors, this card is also a rewards card. Cardholders receive 1% cash back on all purchases, and 5% cash back on transactions from categories of merchants that change each quarter. There is no annual fee for this card, and no foreign transaction fees.
- Double all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year automatically—only for new cardmembers*
- 5% cash back in categories that change each quarter like gas, restaurants, Amazon.com and more—up to the quarterly maximum when you sign up.* 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months—then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- New Freeze It℠ on/off switch lets you prevent new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers on misplaced cards in seconds by mobile app & online.*
- Free FICO® Credit Score on statements, online & by mobile app.* And 100% U.S.-based service any time.
- No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. No late fee on first late payment & paying late won't raise your APR.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text and never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms & other info by clicking "Apply."
0% for 6 months*
0% for 18 months*
10.99% - 22.99% Variable*
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card
Like Simplicity, this card offers the same, industry leading, 18 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers, with a 3% balance transfer fee. Instead of offering no late fees or penalty interest rate, this card features a variety of valuable travel insurance and purchase protection policies. There is no annual fee for this card.