Chase is one of the largest issuers of reward credit cards, and its Freedom card is one of its most popular products. Each quarter, Freedom cardholders are eligible to receive five points per dollar spent at specific stores and merchant categories, for up to $1,500 a quarter. After that, the standard one point per dollar rate applies. But there is one catch; cardholders must go online to “activate” these categories. Fortunately, this can be done even before the
Activate Q3 2013 Categories Now
Starting June 15, 2013, cardholders can go online and activate their bonus categories. For the third quarter of 2013, July 1st through September 30th, these categories include gas stations, theme parks, and Kohl’s stores. Fortunately, cardholders have until the end of the quarter to register, and the bonuses still apply retroactively. Nevertheless, it is still a good idea to register now as it is quick, simple, and free to do.
How much can you save?
If a cardholders spends the entire $1,500 that is eligible for the 5x bonus, that would be 7,500 points, worth at least $75. Or, another way of looking at this is that the cardholder will save an additional $60 worth of points over what he or she would have earned at the standard rate of one point per dollar.
Stretching your points further
There is one trick that cardholders can use to gain even more value from their points. By earning points with their Chase Freedom, and then transferring those points to a Chase Sapphire Preferred card account, the points can then be transferred to the programs of ten different airline and hotel partners plus Amtrak Guest Rewards. And when these points or miles are used for luxury travel, it is even possible to receive more than five cents in value per point! Holders of the Ink for business cards and the Palladium card also have this option.
By understanding how to activate and utilize the Chase Freedom bonus categories, cardholders can earn more points, and more valuable rewards than they may have thought possible.
You can learn more about this offer and apply online below.
- Earn $100 Bonus Cash Back after you make $500 in purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99%-22.99%.
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases between January 1 and March 31, 2014 at gas stations, movie theaters and Starbucks® stores
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like gas stations, restaurants and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- No annual fee and rewards never expire
0% for 15 months*
0% for 15 months*