As a general rule, those with credit card debt should not have reward cards, they should be using the cards with the lowest interest rates. But there are some cards on the market that offer both rewards and 0% APR promotional financing rates.
Who should use these cards
A cardholder who has some debt may wish to take advantage of a promotional financing offer. That cardholder could then retire their debt during the promotional financing period, and then enjoy credit card rewards while paying his or her balance in full. And during this entire time, the cardholder is earning rewards on new purchases.
The top cards with rewards and promotional financing
Discover’s new it card offers 1% cash back on all purchases, and 5% cash back on purchases from categories of merchants that change every quarter. This card is offered with either 14 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers, or 18 months of 0% APR on balance transfers and six months for new purchases. There is no annual fee for this card, but there is a 3% balance transfer fee.
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months—then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- Exclusive offer: Double all the cash back you've earned at the end of your 1st year—automatically.*
- 5% cash back in categories that change each quarter like gas, restaurants and more—up to the quarterly maximum when you sign up.* 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- New Freeze It℠ on/off switch lets you prevent new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers on misplaced cards in seconds by mobile app & online.*
- Free FICO® Credit Score on statements, online & by mobile app.* And 100% U.S.-based service any time.
- No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. No late fee on first late payment & paying late won't raise your APR.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text and never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms & other info by clicking "Apply."
0% for 6 months*
0% for 18 months*
10.99% - 22.99% Variable*
Chase Freedom® Visa
Like Discover it™, Chase Freedom® Visa offers 1% cash back on all transactions, and 5% back on merchant categories that change each month. Freedom offers 0% APR introductory financing for 15 months on both new purchases and balance transfers. There is no annual fee for this card.
- Named a Best Card for Cash Back by MONEY® Magazine
- Earn a $100 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn a $25 Bonus after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within this same 3-month period
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99-22.99%
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on every purchase
- 5% Total Cash Back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like Gas stations, Restaurants and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- No annual fee and rewards never expire as long as your account is open
0% for 15 months*
0% for 15 months*
13.99% - 22.99% Variable*
Capital One® VentureOne(SM) Rewards Credit Card
This card offers one year of interest free financing on new purchases, but does not have a promotional balance transfer offer. Cardholders earn 1.25 miles per dollar spent, and each mile is worth one cent each as statement credits towards any travel expense. In addition, new cardholders receive a sign up bonus of 10,000 points, worth $100 in travel, after spending $1,000 within three months of opening their account. There is no annual fee for this card.
Learn more about the Capital One® VentureOne(SM) Rewards Credit Card
Capital One® Cash Rewards
This card offers 1% cash back on all purchases, plus an additional .5% at the end of the year. Additionally, this card offers one year of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers. Also, new cardholders earn a $100 cash back bonus after spending $500 on purchases within the first three months. There is no annual fee for this card, but there is a 3% balance transfer fee.
Learn more about the Capital One® Cash Rewards
Reward cards may not offer the longest or best promotional financing terms, but they still make sense for cardholders who have short term debt, and a long term desire to earn rewards.