During the coldest part of winter, many Americans are still trying to get a grip on credit card debt accumulated during the holidays. At the same time, others are looking towards spring vacations and seeking ways to limit the long term cost of making a large purchase on a high interest credit card. The financial burden of these and an infinite number of unforeseen circumstances can often be significantly lessened with the savvy use of 0% APR Credit Cards.
These credit card promotions allow consumers to pay a 0% interest rate on new purchases for up to 18 months as well as transfer credit card balances from high rate cards to ones that do not charge interest for 18 months. These transactions, called balance transfers, can significantly reduce the time it takes to get out of credit card debt and save consumers significant amounts of money that would otherwise be spend on interest.
The credit cards listed below offer exceptional value relative to industry average 0% APR credit card offers which on average only offer 0% rates for 12 months.
Citi Diamond Preferred The Citi Simplicity Card
Both Citi Simplicity and Citi Diamond offer the credit card market’s longest 0% interest rate on both purchases and balance transfers. Lasting 18 months, it is a full 3 months longer than any competing offer and approximately 6 months longer than typical offers.
These two cards are pure “value credit cards”. While they offer some distinct benefits, neither offer rewards. However, they are geared towards consumers seeking long 0% introductory rates as well as low long term rates once the 18 month promotional rate expires.
You can learn more, compare, and apply for these offers below.
Chase Slate is the only 0% APR credit card currently offered by a major bank that charges no fees on balance transfers. The 0% interest rate extends for 15 months on purchases as well and the savings from the lack of a balance transfer fee reduce costs by $3 for every $100 transferred compared to other major bank offers.
- Chase Slate named "Best Credit Card for Balance Transfers" two years in a row by Money Magazine
- $0 Introductory balance transfer fee for transfers made during the first 60 days.
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
- $0 Annual Fee
- New Free Monthly FICO® Score and Credit Dashboard
0% for 15 months*
0% for 15 months*
12.99%, 17.99%, 22.99% Variable*
The new Discover it card features 14 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers. And while this is slightly less than its rivals, this card also offers a competitive rewards program. Discover it cardholders receive up to 1% cash back on all purchases, and 5% on categories of merchants that change each quarter, on the first $1,500 spent per quarter. This card is good fit for consumers who need to pay down a little debt but can do so in less than 15 months who then want to earn rewards instead of switching credit cards again.
- 0% intro APR on purchases & balance transfers for 14 months—then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- Over 7,000 cardmembers rated 4.8 out of 5 stars* and J.D. Power awarded Discover "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Credit Card Companies. Tied in 2014."+
- 5% Cashback Bonus for gas and ground transportation on up to $1500 in purchases from Jan. through Mar. 2015 after you sign up for 5% Cashback Bonus. 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Free FICO® Credit Score on monthly statements, online and in our mobile app.*
- No annual fee, no late fee for your first late payment, APR won't go up for paying late, no overlimit fee and no foreign transaction fee.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card.
- 100% U.S.- based customer service— day or night.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info by clicking "Apply."
0% for 14 months*
0% for 14 months*
10.99% - 22.99% Variable*
Citi Dividend Platinum Select
Like the Discover it card, this Citi card has both a promotional financing offer and a similar rewards program. The 0% APR financing on new purchases and balance transfers is valid for 12 months. Cardholders can also receive a $100 sign up bonus after spending $500 on their card within the first three months.
Like the Discover it card, the rewards program features 1% cash back on all purchases and 5% cash back on categories that change each quarter. The cardholder’s first $6,000 spent each year is eligible for the 5% bonus rather than $1,500 per quarter.
This is another offer that offers a blend of value and rewards that consumers who don’t need over a year of 0% APR coverage can benefit handsomely from.
You can view and compare additional 0% APR Credit Cards Here