It is amazing how competitive the credit card market is in the United States. Banks are willing to do almost anything to attract new customers, and their most powerful tool is the sign up bonus.
And while many observers like to look back nostalgically at some of the great bonuses that have been offered in the past, there are still some amazing deals currently available.
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card
This card features not only a great sign up bonus, but it is a fantastic card for daily use as well. New cardholders 40,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months of opening a new account. Chase’s Ultimate Reward points are worth one cent each as a statement credit, or 1.25 cents each towards travel reservations including airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and activities.
But even more valuable can be the option to transfer points to the program of several different airlines and hotels. For example, points can be transferred to miles with British Airways, Southwest, United, or Korean Airlines. And since British Airways miles can be redeemed for flights on American Airlines, Korean for Delta, and United for US Airways, Ultimate Rewards points can lead to award tickets with all the major carriers within the United States.
Beyond airlines, points can also be transferred to the Hyatt, Priority Club, Marriott, and Ritz-Carlton hotel chains, as well as the Amtrak Guest Rewards program.
- 40,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months - that's $500 toward travel rewards!
- 2 points per dollar spent on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Get 20% off airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises when you redeem through Ultimate RewardsSM
- No foreign transaction fees
- Receive a 7% Annual Points Dividend on all new points earned on purchases - even on points already redeemed
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs - that means 1,000 Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points
- Direct access to expert service advisors anytime
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
N/A for N/A*
$0 1st year, then $95
Other top sign up bonuses
Many of Chase’s offerings currently have excellent sign up bonuses that can be combined with points transferred from the Sapphire Preferred card.
United MileagePlus Explorer Card. The current offer for this card is 30,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 within three months of opening an account. United miles can then be used for travel on any Star Alliance partner including US Airways, Air Canada, Lufthansa, and Thai Airlines.
- Start with 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months
- Check your first bag for free - save up to $100 per roundtrip
- Earn double miles on United ticket purchases, and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges
- Visit the United Club with two one-time-use passes every year
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight
- Your miles don't expire as long as you're a cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
N/A for N/A*
$0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card. This card offers even more Marriott points, 50,000 after spending $1,000 within three months of opening an account. This is enough for up to seven free nights.
- Enjoy up to 7 Free Nights To Start!
- New! Smart Chip Technology and No Foreign Transaction Fees!
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent at Marriott® locations
- Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on other purchases
- Receive 1 free night stay after account approval and each year upon account anniversary
- Cardmembers achieve Silver Elite status with 15 nights credit toward Elite status
N/A for N/A*
$0 1st year, then $85
Hyatt Credit Card. Don’t count the Hyatt card out, which is another one of Chase’s partners. This card offers two free nights at any location after spending $1,000 within the first three months of opening an account. And with luxury properties at Asian and European capitals charging up to $1,000 per night, this could be one of the most valuable sign up bonuses offered.
By learning about all of the generous sign up bonuses currently be offered, credit card users can make the most of the new applications.