In the depths of winter with a few feet of snow outside in many places, consumers with credit card debt can do themselves a service by curling up around the fireplace with a hot cup of cocoa and hopping online to find a credit card that offers a 0% rate on balance transfers. These cards allow consumers to move high rate debts to new cards that charge no interest for up to 18 months. Without interest piling up, this not only saves money in the short term, but can also make the process of getting out of debt significantly quicker.
Below is a ranking of leading 0% APR balance transfer credit cards based on the overall value offered to consumers.
Slate from Chase
This perennial favorite remains the top card in this category as it is the only product offered by a major bank with a 0% APR on balance transfers and no balance transfer fee. In fact, cardholders receive 15 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers.
There is no annual fee for this card, and customers can also take advantage of Chase’s innovative Blueprint program at no extra charge. Blueprint is a powerful tool that allows cardholders to save money by paying for some charges in full while carrying a balance on others. In addition, it features powerful budgeting and goal setting tools.
- Chase Slate named "Best Credit Card for Balance Transfers" two years in a row by Money Magazine
- $0 Introductory balance transfer fee for transfers made during the first 60 days
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- New Free Monthly FICO® Score and Credit Dashboard
- No Penalty APR - Paying late won't raise your interest rate (APR). All other account pricing and terms apply
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 15 months*
0% for 15 months*
12.99%, 17.99%, 22.99% Variable*
Citi Diamond Preferred and Citi Simplicity
These two Citi cards feature identical promotional financing offers. Both have 18 months of interest free financing on new purchases and balance transfers. This 18 month promotion is currently the longest 0% APR financing period that applies to both new purchases and balance transfers being offered by any major credit card company.
But the cards do differ in significant ways. The Simplicity features no late fees or penalty interest rates, while the Diamond Preferred comes with a host of travel insurance and purchase protection policies. There is no annual fee for either card.
This new Discover “it” card comes in two versions. One offer is for 18 months of 0% APR financing on balance transfers and 6 months of interest free financing on new purchases. But in addition, “it” is also a rewards credit card with which cardholders can earn 1% cash back on all purchases, and 5% on purchases from qualifying merchant categories that change each quarter. There is no annual fee for this card, but there is a 3% balance transfer fee.
- Double all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year automatically—only for new cardmembers*
- 5% cash back in categories that change each quarter like gas, restaurants, Amazon.com and more—up to the quarterly maximum when you sign up.* 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months—then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- New Freeze It℠ on/off switch lets you prevent new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers on misplaced cards in seconds by mobile app & online.*
- Free FICO® Credit Score on statements, online & by mobile app.* And 100% U.S.-based service any time.
- No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. No late fee on first late payment & paying late won't raise your APR.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text and never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms & other info by clicking "Apply."
0% for 6 months*
0% for 18 months*
10.99% - 22.99% Variable*
This version of the Discover “it” card features 14 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers. This offer is the better choice for consumers who need to continue to use their card to make new purchases.
To learn more or compare additional offers, please see the 0% APR Balance Transfer section of this website.