In general, those who look for cash back cards do not need a balance transfer, and those who look for 0% APR balance transfers are not the primary market for cash back credit cards. Nevertheless, there are some cards on the market that offer both cash back and money saving balance transfer promotions.
Since it can make sense for some cardholders to look for a product with both of these features, let’s take a look at the top cards that meet these criteria:
Best Cash Back Card with a 0% APR Promotion
The Chase Freedom card has become one the most popular cash back cards due to its competitive rewards program, but it also features a 0% APR on balance transfers and purchases that lasts 15 months.
Because this card also offers a $100 cash back bonus as long as $500 is spent within 3 months, it can be a very good option for consumers who will be transferring debt and also making new purchases with this card.
On the rewards front, Freedom offers 1% cash back on most purchases and 5% cash back at a certain qualifying merchants which rotate each quarter.
Other Noteworthy Deals
The Citi Dividend Card currently features 12 months of interest free financing on both new purchases and balance transfers. This is three months shorter than the Chase Freedom offer, so is best for those who need to transfer balances from a Chase card since those can’t be transferred at a 0% rate to Chase Freedom.
Like Freedom, Citi Dividend offers a $100 cash back bonus if $500 is spent within 3 months, so, even though Freedom wins out with the longer 0% interest rate, both cards offer very good value.
Discover recently launched the “Discover it” card. This card works much like the Citi Dividend and Chase Freedom cards with 1% cash back on most purchases and 5% cash back on the first $1,500 of purchases from select categories of merchants that change each quarter.
At this time, Discover is offering the “it” card with 14 months of 0% APR financing on balance transfers and new purchases. There is no sign up bonus for this card.
Compare Credit Cards Discussed in This Article
- Earn a $100 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn a $25 Bonus after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within this same 3-month period
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99%-22.99%
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases between October 1 — December 31, 2014 at Amazon.com, Zappos.com and select department stores
- You'll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like gas stations, restaurants and Amazon.com. It's free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- No annual fee and rewards never expire
0% for 15 months*
0% for 15 months*
- 0% intro APR on purchases & balance transfers for 14 months—then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- Over 5,000 cardmembers rated 4.8 out of 5 stars* and now Discover 'Ranked Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Credit Card Companies in a Tie' by J.D. Power*.
- 5% cash back for online shopping and department store purchases on up to $1,500 - Oct. through Dec. 2014 when you sign up*. 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Free FICO® Credit Score online and on monthly statements*.
- No annual fee, no late fee for your first late payment - APR won't go up for paying late, no overlimit fee and no foreign transaction fee.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.
- 100% U.S.- based customer service—anytime, day and night.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info by clicking 'Apply.'
0% for 14 months*
0% for 14 months*
10.99% - 22.99% Variable*