Advertising Disclosure *Advertising Disclosure: is an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. receives compensation from the credit card issuers whose credit card offers appear on the website. The compensation may impact the order in which they appear within listing categories. does not include the entire universe of available credit or financial offers.

About Editor's Picks: Our editor selects credit cards based on the features the credit card offers consumers, including introductory rates, fees, long term interest rates, and its relative value compared to competing offers. While this site receives remuneration from credit card companies, our rankings strive to objectively provide consumers with relevant, unique options.

How to File Taxes When You’re Unemployed – Advice from H&R Block

Smart Balance Transfers provides in-depth information and insights into credit cards. While we do accept Smart Balance Transfers provides in-depth information and insights into credit cards. While we do accept compensation from credit card companies when consumers visit their websites, we have striven to provide unbiased reviews since 2007.

Today, H&R Block’s Leigh Mutert, CPA and Community Manager provides some guidance on how to file taxes when you are unemployed.

Unemployment out of the double digits in some states, but many Americans are filing taxes while unemployed for the first time. Tax laws are governed by the state of the economy, and the government makes amendments from time to time mainly with a view to giving relief to tax payers.

Even if you have been unemployed for more than a year you still need to file a federal income tax return. It is important to remember that all unemployment compensation is taxable. In addition, because you may be in a lower income bracket, you may qualify for more deductions or different types of deductions than you have in the past. Also, keep in mind that certain job search expenses can be deductible for some taxpayers.

Are unemployment benefits taxable?

For 2010, all unemployment compensation is taxable. Unlike wages, no tax is withheld from unemployment unless you specifically request it by submitting a completed Form W-4V – Voluntary Withholding Request. Once your request is processed, 10% of your benefits will be withheld for federal taxes. Also, you may be able to deduct some of the expenses of finding your next job.

After the first of the year you will receive Form 1099-G from your state’s Department of Labor and Employment containing the necessary information to complete your taxes. Form 1099-G will show the total amount of benefits received and any withholding. The unemployment benefits are taxable on your federal return. H&R Block has online tax prep software for filing your taxes yourself that can help you accurately claim your deductions, credits and job-hunting expenses automatically.

Deductions Related to Your Job Search

You are entitled to tax deductions for expenses you incur in your job search. Deductible expenses include travel, resume preparation, printing, and postage. You can deduct job-seeking expenses as long as the amount of all miscellaneous itemized tax deductions is more than 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). To figure your tax deduction, subtract 2% of your AGI from the total amount of these expenses.

Make sure you keep the supporting receipts to make these claims. Job search expenses can be deducted as miscellaneous itemized tax deductions if you look for a job in the same field at the same level as the one you left. Job search expenses are deductible even if you don’t get the job.

Allowable Job Search Tax Deductions

You may be eligible for the following deductions while you’re searching for a job:

  1. Resume preparation: typing and printing, postage, long-distance charges, advertising, and professional resume preparation fees required for your resume.
  2. Travel: airfare, mileage, meals (based on either actual expenses or standard federal per diem rates) and lodging (actual expenses only) if the primary purpose of the trip is to look for a job and the taxpayer is away from home.
  3. Employment agency fees: While not a deduction item, the handling of agency fees can have an effect on your tax situation.  Learn about all the Job Search Deductions you may be able to take this year.

Qualifying for Job Search Tax Deductions

To qualify for the deduction, your job search must be for a job in your current, or most recent, trade or business.

  • If you haven’t held a job in that trade or business for an extended length of time, your job search will be considered for a new trade or business, and your deductions may not be allowed.
  • If you’re just out of school and had no paying jobs while in school that were related to your trade or business, your deductions won’t be allowed.

Earned Income Tax Credit

The Earned Income Credit (EIC) is a valuable credit for lower-income taxpayers who work. If you worked for any part of the tax year, even if you were unemployed at the end of the year, you may still be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). It provides a tax credit for one child of up to $3,050. This tax credit is for people who have worked in the tax year, and have earned a low to moderate income. By reducing the amount of taxes you owe, a tax credit means more money for you- and possibly a refund. This Earned Income Credit Table for 2010 can help you determine how much you can receive in these child-related tax credits.

If you have questions about what qualified as a job-hunting expense, or any other tax question, you can always get a free 30-minute consultation with an H&R Block tax pro at an office near you.

Editor's Note: This content is not provided by Citi. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed here are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Citi or any of the other companies whose products are featured in this content.

About the author

Jeff Weber

Jeffrey Weber has been following and blogging about the credit card industry since 2004. He has also written for Forbes and been cited in a wide range of major media outlets including USA Today, Time, MSN Money, The Christian Science Monitor, The Detroit Free Press and numerous other prestigious online and print publications.

Jeffrey resides in Easton, Connecticut and enjoys spending his free time chasing after his two year old son, watching films with his wife and occasionally taking a holiday to go snorkeling.

– has written 279 posts.

Leave a Comment

These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Previous post:

Next post: